Friday, April 8, 2011

Capable and Motivated

By Ensign Annie Scroggs

Walking through the hangar bay of USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) I pass dozens of Sailors mustered and standing by for any emergency that might arise as we charge the fire-main. The system has been dry for more than four months – drained to allow the necessary modifications to the ship while we are in dry-dock without worry of rupturing a pipe and flooding the ship with saltwater. Now it’s time to fill it back up and hope that it won’t leak. I notice the faces around me, waiting calmly. Whatever might happen, these Sailors are more than capable and motivated to respond to any situation immediately!

As the executive officer makes the announcement to start the process, I formulate my game plan. I can’t go to all my spaces at once nor is the fire-main in all of them. I decide to check the forward and aft shops to ensure everyone has left to go to their prospective watch stations. Starting in the fire pump room I find three of my Sailors methodically making notes of any potential problems in the space, paying special attention to the areas where contracted work had been completed. Suddenly, the Damage Control Assistant (DCA) announces we are charging the fire-main in this area of the ship. I wait in anticipation, but, as I glance at my Sailors I am sure they have this space under control; they are capable and motivated to ensure it is perfect.

Moving along, over the next five hours… I am roving the reefer decks, stern gate machinery rooms, forward and aft diesel, port and starboard after steering, compressor rooms, and aircraft machinery spaces and then back to them all again… circling continuously. I pause when I hear, “This is DCA from damage control central with a fire-main restoration update: Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3 and Phase 4 complete.”

I look around at my Sailors’ as they nod, smile and continue with the days work. We have just taken the first step to putting the best warship on the waterfront back together. This is the beginning of many accomplishments to come. As the cold saltwater moves through the ships veins I realize, “This is how it’s done!” Section by section, system by system, piece by piece we will put this ship back together and continue to strengthen our team as the crew of USS Bonhomme Richard: Capable and motivated!

No comments:

Post a Comment